Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Former St. Rose Catholic Church Comes Down

Fifty years ago, in 1968, the former St. Rose Catholic Church was razed. The church, built in 1895, was located on North Madison Street, beside St. Rose School. The new Catholic church, still in use today, was opened earlier that year.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Alvin Trevean store, Georgetown

One hundred years ago, on August 24, 1918, Alvin Trevean opened his store in Georgetown, Wisconsin.

 Advertisement from the Cuba City News Herald (August 23, 1918)


Advertisement from the Cuba City News Herald (August 30, 1918)

Trevean operated the store into the 1950s and had retired by the time of his death in 1955.

Photo courtesy of the Smelser Township website.

Advertisement courtesy of the Smelser Township website.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Pepsi-Cola Football Program

As Cuba City High School hosts its first football game of the year this evening, let's celebrate with some football memorabilia. This program was from a football game played between Lancaster and Cuba City on October 10, 1947.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Celebration at the Depot

This photograph has captured some sort of celebration or special event, judging by the dress of the people congregating around Cuba City's railroad station. A passenger train can be seen beside the depot and one wall of the Post Office and Farmers Bank/Cuba City State Bank is visible just beyond that on the right. It looks like that building may still be under construction, which would date this photo to around 1907.


Cuba City's railroad station was located in the open area now home to the Presidential Courtyard and caboose.

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Fire at Brewer Brothers Clothing

On this day, one hundred years ago, a fire broke out in the building housing Brewer Brothers Clothing, the Jacco Drug Store, and the Knights of Columbus club rooms. These were located where the Junque Stops Here is today, in the building next to Nick's Cafe.

The fire alarm was sounded at 3 a.m., summoning the fire department as well as bystanders who helped carry the contents of the clothing shop to safety. The fire originated in the drug store and fortunately the building, though damaged, was saved.

 Cuba City News Herald (August 9, 1918 supplement) 

One week after the fire, the Brewer Brothers published a notice in the Cuba City News Herald, dispelling rumors that their account books had gone up in flames and asking customers to settle their accounts, "as we are very much in need of cash just now."

After settling "satisfactorily" with the insurance companies, Brewer Brothers advertised a fire sale for their "Mammoth $30,000 stock of clothing, hats, caps, shoes, men's furnishings, etc." that survived the fire. They assured customers that, while some goods were damaged by smoke and water, most were unharmed.

 Cuba City News Herald (August 30, 1918)

The business operated out of several different buildings in town until the fire damage was repaired.

Cuba City News Herald (September 6, 1918)

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Professor Houseman's Unfortunate Slip

Ninety-five years ago, a terrible accident occurred at Cuba City's sulfuric acid plant located south of town.

 National Zinc Separating Company plant, south of Cuba City

H. V. (Harley Vernon) Houseman, formerly a professor at the State Normal School in Platteville, was working as chief chemist at the acid plant when he came into much closer contact than he would have liked with the subject of his study.

 H. V. Houseman with wife Addie and child. Photo courtesy of Debra Bowers.

The following article describing the mishap was published in several newspapers in the state, including the Badger State Banner in Black River Falls on August 9, 1923:
Prof. Housmann [sic], for the past two years an expert in the making of sulfuric acid at the plant of the National Ore Separating Co., at Cuba City, fell down a flight of stairs while carrying a bucket of acid and the fiery liquid ran over his arms and face. He was removed to his home in a serious condition.
 H. V. Houseman. Photo courtesy of Debra Bowers.

Mr. Houseman survived the spill and eventually moved to California with his family, where he would spend the rest of his life. It seems that he would always have a reminder of the accident, though, as his draft registration card from 1942 noted he had scars on his right arm, chest, and leg.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Infantile Paralysis Strikes Cuba City

One hundred years ago, Cuba City was in the midst of a health scare as infantile paralysis, better known today as polio, affected surrounding communities.

Image courtesy of the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History, ID 2013.3021.03.
 http://www.si.edu/object/nmah_1446256

On August 1, 1918, a quarantine went into place in Cuba City. The quarantine order below was published in the Cuba City News Herald:
The Board of Health for the village of Cuba City hereby makes the following rules governing the quarantine for infantile paralysis:
1. No children under 16 years of age shall leave the village bound for Dubuque, Galena, New Diggings or any other point where this disease prevails.
2.  No person under 16 years of age shall be allowed to come to the village of Cuba City from a place where infantile paralysis exists.
3. In event of any case or cases of infantile paralysis being found within the village limits the following rule will and shall become automatically and immediately effective: All children under 16 shall remain on their own premises.
 4. The release of quarantine of any district will automatically release these rules in reference to that particular district.
5. Anyone violating these rules will be completely quarantined. These rules go into effect August 1, 1918.
Signed by Board of Health:
JOHN JEFFREY, CLEM HEITKAMP, HENRY JUNGLES, DR. E. MacDONALD
One month later, a case of polio was discovered at the James Eddy home in Cuba City and, though it was considered a mild case, schools were closed and anyone under sixteen had to remain in their own homes.

The quarantine was lifted on September 23, and the schools reopened.