Sunday, August 21, 2011

Father Vaughan's Funeral Procession

This photograph of Main Street was taken on May 12, 1909 during a funeral procession for St. Rose's priest, Father L. J. Vaughan.


After his funeral, Father Vaughan's body was escorted down Main Street by "the little girls of the parish, the altar boys, the Knights of Columbus, Daughters of Isabella and Catholic Knights." The procession ended at the train depot, where many parishioners accompanied Father Vaughan's body on the train to Janesville, which was to be his final resting place. Businesses and schools in Cuba City were closed for the day.

Find out more about the funeral in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald article below, courtesy of Google News Archive:
Cuba City Honors Memory of Dead



Saturday, August 13, 2011

Old St. Rose church and school

Located on Madison Street, where the current St. Rose Catholic School stands.
The church was built in 1895. The school was built in 1916. Neither are standing today. The Catholic rectory (which still exists as a private residence) can be seen peeking out behind the church in this picture.