Sunday, February 6, 2011

William H. Pascoe

One of Cuba City's earliest businessmen was William Henry Pascoe (1850-1917). "Billy" Pascoe lived at 213 N. Main Street. He operated a hardware and/or general store at the current location of C&Js General Store (the north building) on Main Street. According to Cuba City's Centennial history, W. H. Pascoe was a tinsmith and a sheet metal worker.




The following obituaries appeared in the Cuba City News Herald at the time of W. H. Pascoe's death.

Cuba City News Herald, May 4, 1917

W. H. Pascoe Dies

Cuba City’s Oldest Merchant Passes Away Monday

The community was shocked, Monday, to hear of the death of W. H. Pascoe, Cuba City’s oldest merchant, who passed away at a Platteville hospital on Monday, April 30, at 10:30 a.m., after an operation for obstruction of the bowels.

Mr. Pascoe had not been in the best of health for some time but no thought of the seriousness of his case was entertained until a few days prior to his demise.


Cuba City News Herald, May 11, 1917

Obituary-Pascoe

William Henry Pascoe was born at Jefferson, near Hazel Green, Sept. 24, 1850, and died at the hospital at Platteville, Wis., April 30, 1917, at the age of 66 years, 7 months, and 6 days.

His early years were spent on the farm with his parents where he grew to young manhood. Later he went into business and he has been identified with the business interests of Cuba City from the first when there were only a few settlers here. His business record in our city covers a period of over forty years up to the time of his death.

In early life he became a Christian and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and through the remainder of his life has been a member of the same.

In the year 1878, Jan. 16, he was united in marriage to Miss Emily Vincent at Galena, Ill. To this union were born five children: Grace of Cuba City, Vinton of Platteville, Willis of Chadron, Nebr., Mrs. Frank Rochek of Cuba City and Mrs. Chas. Latham of Benton. Beside his wife and children he leaves to mourn his loss three brothers and three sisters: Mrs. Harriet Stephens of Cuba City, John of Carroll, Iowa, Mrs. Mary Stephens of Madison, Wis., James of Albia, Iowa, Samuel of Des Moines, Iowa, and Mrs. George Ralph of Cuba City.

On May 2, 1903, he joined the Masonic Lodge, being a member of Georgetown Lodge, No. 185, of this city.

“Billy,” as he was familiarly known, was a man of generous impulses and there was a daily beauty about his ways that won every heart. In temperament, he was mild, conciliatory and candid, and he gained confidence when he seemed least to seek it. At his death the grief that was felt over the close of his long career was widespread and sincere. His best monument will be the good report that he has left behind him in this community where he has lived for more than sixty-six years.

The funeral services were held, on Wednesday, May 2. A short service was held at the home and was followed by services at the Methodist Episcopal church, conducted by Rev. J. Henry Chatterson. The attendance was probably the largest in the obsequious history of the city. Interment was made at Mt. Pleasant cemetery, the Masonic Order having charge of the services at the grave.

During the funeral services all the business places were closed.

The relatives from away who attended the funeral of Mr. Pascoe were the following: Three brothers—John, of Carroll, Iowa; James, of Albia, Iowa; Samuel, of Des Moines, Ia.; one sister—Mrs. Mary Stephens, of Madison, Wis.; and Dr. and Mrs. Geo. Stephens, of Kenosha, Wis.; Mr. and Mrs. Peter Perry and Miss Mary Perry, of Scales Mound, Ill.; Miss Aletha Opie of Warren, Ill.; Mrs. John Anderson and Mrs. J. Knelling, of Mineral Point, Wis.; Harry Vincent and Stella Hicks, of Benton, Wis., Mr. and Mrs. Albert Eustice of Platteville; and the following from Galena: Capt. Wm. Vincent, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Vincent, Will Vincent, Jr., Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Bratton, Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Vincent, Mrs. R. Kuster, Mrs. Laura Eustice, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Eustice, Mr. and Mrs. Josiah Vincent, Mrs. Pierce Richards, and Mrs. John Brown.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Putting Cuba City on the Map

By 1917, more and more people were hitting the roads in automobiles, taking fun day trips or even longer excursions. Cuba City officials saw an opportunity to cash in on this tourism by becoming a destination along the Indian Head Trail, a multi-state affair that would hopefully attract many motoring tourists to the area. 

From The Automobile Blue Book, 1918, Volume 5, Page 163

The following newspaper article describes the trail and Cuba City's participation in the venture:

Cuba City News Herald, February 2, 1917

Indian Head Trail

No Better Auto Route in the World

Mayor Marshall and C. C. Clemens were the Cuba City representatives of the enthusiastic meeting held in Prairie du Chien, Monday, which was called to discuss the proposed route of the Indian Head Trail. There were about one hundred enterprising men present, fifty of them being from towns along the route of the proposed trail, other than Prairie du Chien.

Mr. Fitch and W. L. Miller of Galena spoke of benefits of proposed trail to Galena, Mr. Cox spoke for Hazel Green, Mayor Marshall and C. C. Clemens for Cuba City, and of the good work Cuba City is going to do on the roads during 1917 from the macadam at St. Rose to the “Corners” at the cemetery south of town. R. I. Dugdale spoke for Platteville and Lancaster and H. C. George, on the benefits to the mining companies.

There were several from McGregor present, who advocated the converting of Marquette State Park, in the northwest part of Grant Co. and the park at McGregor, Iowa, into a National park.

Speakers from Viroqua and Bloomington spoke favorably regarding help from their communities, providing the Indian Head Trail passes through their towns.

The meeting levied the following assessments for the Indian Sign Boards and advertising in the automobile routing books. This money is to be raised by public subscription:

Hazel Green------------------------$75
Cuba City---------------------------$100
Platteville---------------------------$200
Lancaster----------------------------$150
Bloomington------------------------$75
Patch Grove-------------------------$50
Bridgeport---------------------------$50
Prairie du Chien-------------------$200

The signs have already been placed from Savanna to Galena, assessments made and paid.

The Indian Head Trail will appear in the 1917 automobile route books, showing the trail running from Savanna through Galena, and Cuba City and as far north as Prairie du Chien and perhaps to La Crosse as was stated by a representative present, of one of the largest auto routing book concerns.

A banquet was tendered to all visitors by the proprietor of the Rosencranz hotel.

Another meeting will be held in the course of a few weeks.

The Indian Head Trail is the means of putting Cuba City on the automobile map, as the trail runs through to St. Paul and Minneapolis to the north, and to Chicago by way of Galena and Savanna on the south.

A month later, it was confirmed that the Trail would extend north to Minneapolis. The following newspaper article describes the great things envisioned for the Indian Head Trail by its planners.

Cuba City News Herald, March 9, 1917

The Indian Head Trail

The Chamber of Commerce of Minneapolis informs the Indian Head Trail Association that the Highway committee has approved of the plans of Illinois and Wisconsin cities to extend the Trail into Minneapolis, and the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce announces that it will send a delegation to the meeting to be held at La Crosse in the near future.

The Indian Head Trail is thoroughly organized from Prairie du Chien south to Peoria, and is marked from Galena south to Peoria. The Trail Association has also secured the service of Jens Jensen, of Chicago, the famous landscape architect, to become the architect of the Indian Head Trail.

The association is now at work listing the great places of historic value along the route and there is a great wealth of early history from Galena north through Cuba City to La Crosse.

The Indian Head Trail will be the means of bringing to the attention of the tourists of the world, the wonderful places of historic lore through where the cradle of civilization was rocked in the north central states.

The association is also paying much attention to the wonderful scenery to be found from Milledgeville, Ill., to La Crosse, Wis., and this, of course, includes the great state park at Prairie du Chien.

The Association plans to make the Indian Head Trail the equal of the Lincoln Highway, and that means that the Indian Head Trail becomes the great north and south route of the United States. The Gulf of Mexico and the Canadian border are the objective ends.

By April 1917, Cuba City's markers for the route had arrived. The Cuba City News Herald (April 27, 1917) reports:

The markers for the Indian Head Trail have arrived and will be placed at once. The design is of an Indian head and is very distinctive in contour and color.

A mention in the Hazel Green section of the Cuba City News Herald (August 17, 1917) further describes the Indian Head Trail markers:

The Indian Heads are attached to the telephone poles, which together with the yellow and red painted rings on the poles, mark the Indian Head trail through our village and town.