Thursday, June 14, 2018

Tire shopping in Elmo


This tire advertisement from Elmo ran in the Cuba City News Herald one hundred years ago, on June 21, 1918. According to directories of the time, business owner Albert Haug was a blacksmith, wagonmaker, and postmaster in Elmo, and his wife, Bertha, ran the general store.


Photo of Bertha and Albert Haug courtesy of Melinda Howell.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

The Tyler House

The Tyler House was a stage coach stop located between Cuba City and Hazel Green on what is now Highway 80.  The nineteenth-century hotel was built by Augustus Tyler and is owned today by Dave and Lois Kuhle.

Image courtesy of Google Maps.


 The Tyler House is visible in this 1868 "New Map of Grant County," made available by the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.

 Augustus and Elizabeth Tyler were from New York State, and they settled in the Hazel Green area in 1846. According to census and newspaper records, Augustus Tyler was a lumberman, farmer, and hotel keeper. Tyler built what a Platteville Witness article called “a fine, large brick hotel” where the stage coach would stop and change horses between Platteville and Galena. The value of his land was an impressive $11,000 in 1860. That would be around $300,000 today.

  Advertisement from The Wisconsin Farmer, and Northwestern Cultivator, 1858. This ad includes a testimonial from the Tyler House's owner, Augustus Tyler.


 In addition to being rich farmland, it seems that the Tyler property was also rich in lead. Augustus Tyler reportedly discovered the deposits when he was digging a well soon after settling at his home, but he waited until several years later to investigate. Initial newspaper reports in February 1866 indicate that Augustus Tyler moved to Platteville and rented his hotel and farm to a Mr. Van Vleck, who struck a rich lead deposit. The following was published in the Galena Gazette*:
Mr. Van Vleck, the present proprietor of the Tyler House, beyond Hazel Green, recently struck a rich lead of mineral within a few rods of his house. He thinks he will soon be able to take out from 2,000 to 4,000 per day. The ground belongs to Mr. Tyler, of the Union house, at Platteville, who receives one-sixth of the mineral as ground rent. The remaining five-sixths will probably make Mr. Van Vleck as wealthy as it is necessary for any man to be.
The Platteville Witness** reported later that month that Augustus Tyler sold his house and farm to a mining company and a large scale mining enterprise was planned.

Later proprietors of the Tyler House included Joseph Atkinson and Tom Wilcox. Wilcox made it in the newspapers for competing in pigeon shooting contests. These competitions were serious business with prizes and large crowds. In April 1877, the Hazel Green correspondent to the Galena Daily Gazette called Wilcox “a young disciple, but a dead shot.”

During its lifetime, the Tyler House provided lodging, dining, and entertainment. In July 1877, there was a “grand reaper trial” at the Tyler House farm. Several hundred people turned out to watch two pieces of farm machinery--a McCormick and a Woods self-binder--compete.  (The McCormick won.)

Tom Wilcox also threw popular balls to celebrate George Washington's birthday. The following is a description of the 1876 event as described in the Galena Daily Gazette:

The Tyler House, two miles north of here, was the scene of a merry party on Thursday the 22d, which was an entire and surprising success. Messrs. Breen and Wilcox furnished the music, which was excellent, giving entire satisfaction to all present. Prompting was well done by Mr. Cullen, assisted by Mr. Smitheram. Near 12 o’clock the dancers repaired to the spacious dining hall, where their eyes beheld a feast of good things, but in about fifteen minutes things didn’t look as they did at first. The Hall was appropriately decorated, and many of the dancers were becomingly arrayed for the occasion. Numerous spectators were present—so many that the dancers were often hard up for room wherein to hump themselves aright. The participants in the dance were a motley and pleasing throng. Withal they danced becomingly, danced energetically, danced well; in fact we left them on the floor footing it away as deftly as anything.

 *As printed in the Madison County Courier, Edwardsville, Ill. (Feb. 8, 1866)
**As printed in the Wisconsin State Journal (Feb. 15, 1866)


Sunday, June 3, 2018

The Whithams' Junction House in Elmo

The Junction House, a nineteenth-century stage coach stop, stood just a few miles north of Cuba City, in the area that would eventually be known as Elmo. The hotel was an important stopping place because it was located at the “junction” of the Galena, Mineral Point, and Platteville roads, and passengers could transfer coaches at this point, depending on their destination.

 The Junction House is visible in this map of the Elmo area from 1868. The "New Map of Grant County" was made available by the Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.

The inn was built by Emanuel Whitham in 1854 and was described as “a huge frame structure” in the 1881 history of Grant County. Whitham and his family came to the United States from West Yorkshire, England, settling in Pennsylvania for several years before moving to Wisconsin. 

By 1870, the elder Whitham had moved to Galena, and his son, Emanuel Whitham, Jr. was running the inn. The following excerpt from the Galena Daily Gazette (Feb. 1, 1876) gives a colorful description of the inn and its proprietor:

“The hotel here is an old institution, having been here in days of yore, and well and favorably known as the Junction House, and now kept by Emanuel Whitham, Jr., more commonly addressed as “Bub,” who is ever and anon ready to satiate the appetite and quench your thirst with any or all the beverages he has on hand; and should you be the owner of a refractory or unmanageable equine Bub will go for you and give you a good trade, having your interest second only to his. He can beat any man in the county pitching horse shoes, tossing coppers and cracking bon mots, and can do it without digressing the code of morals.”

By the mid-1870s, news that the railroad would be traveling through Elmo caused quite a stir. In the summer of 1875, a railroad depot was built near the Whitham’s hotel and the small community would soon see a store, post office, and harness and blacksmith shop. 

Map excerpt from the 1877 Atlas of Grant County.

“Bub” Whitman, enterprising young man that he was, had a survey done for a village site, and acquired 40 acres, laying off 200 lots that he would enthusiastically try to sell. In 1876, advertisements were placed in newspapers to entice people to purchase lots in the “promising young village.” 

Advertisement from the Galena Daily Gazette (February 19, 1876)

Interestingly, Whitham also put his stables and hotel, now officially called the “Elmo House,” up for sale at this time. By May 1877, he had sold the hotel that had been in his family for over 20 years to D. J. Wright of Elk Grove. Though the inn had changed hands, Bub Whitham planned to stay engaged in business at Elmo and was drawing up plans for a new home that would likely be built on one of his lots.

Many members of the Whitham family stayed in the area and are buried in Elk Grove, not far from Elmo.

Gravestone of Emanuel and Isabella Whitham. Elk Grove Cemetery.

Gravestone of Emanuel Whitham, Jr. Elk Grove Cemetery.

The Junction House still provides dining and entertainment today under its most recent name, the Elmo Club.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Lillie Warrick

This beautiful gravestone can be found in Cuba City's Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Lillie Warrick was only 24 years old at the time of her death in 1912.  She was born on her family's large farm south of Dickeyville. The Warricks later made their home on Randolph Street in Cuba City.

Lillie's father,  John Warrick, was a founder of the Farmers Bank in Cuba City, which was renamed Cuba City State Bank.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

The German-American Experience in World War I

Today, Wisconsin celebrates its German heritage, but that was not always the case. When the United States declared war on Germany in 1917, the nation also turned its eyes to the German people and culture within its borders. Wisconsin, with its high number of German-born residents, faced particular scrutiny as paranoia and fear blanketed the country and the loyalty of all was questioned.


What was it like to be a German American in Cuba City at this time? Joseph and Mary Hauser came to the United States from Germany at the turn of the century and settled in Cuba City by 1905. According to several people who remember the couple, they lived near the VFW building on the northwest side of town. Joseph and Mary became U. S. citizens just before World War I began. Census information tells us that Joseph was a laborer who worked at “odd jobs” and neither Joseph nor Mary could speak English.

Anti-German propaganda was everywhere and one needed to look no further than the local newspaper or movie house to find it. Formerly complimentary German stereotypes of hardworking, educated individuals gave way to stories of German brutality. The demonization of Germans was common and many films such as The Beast of Berlin were shown at the Auditorium in Cuba City.

Advertisement from the Centralia Evening Sentinel (June 15, 1918)

Speaking German would have been considered suspicious as many Americans were convinced that German spies lurked everywhere. Often, schools removed German language instruction from the curriculum after the United States entered the war. Though German was offered in the 1917 Cuba City High School advertisement, it had been replaced with Latin by the time the 1918 advertisement rolled out.

 Advertisement from the Cuba City News Herald (August 31, 1917)

Advertisement from the Cuba City News Herald (August 23, 1918)

Paranoia surrounding Germans in the United States reached a new level when those who had not yet become U. S. citizens were required to register with authorities and were considered enemy aliens. These individuals were fingerprinted, photographed, and given an identification card that had to be carried at all times. The registration card images below are courtesy of the Chippewa Valley Museum in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.





During the war, Americans were pressured to prove their allegiance to the cause, and this would have been especially true of German Americans like Joseph and Mary Hauser. One of the first available to ways to show support for the war effort was by displaying the American flag. This message was found in the April 20, 1917 issue of the Cuba City News Herald : “Flags are conspicuous on local autos but are sadly lacking on public buildings and residences. Hang out a flag.”

In May 1917, the Red Cross organized a branch in Cuba City and all were encouraged to join. In June 1917, Liberty Loans went on sale and offered residents a way to prove their loyalty by purchasing government bonds. In case anyone needed extra incentive, the Cuba City News Herald published the names of buyers and the amount of money contributed.

On May 31, 1918, the Cuba City Chapter of the Wisconsin Loyalty Legion met at City Hall and decided to meet monthly thereafter. The purpose of the loyalty legions was, according to a Dubuque Telegraph Herald article, “to promote patriotism in the community and to make people come out and stand for one side or the other."

What were the consequences if someone did not show an “appropriate” amount of support for the war effort? They were labeled “slackers.” “Don’t be a slacker” was a common refrain in the newspaper, and Cuba City residents who had not financially contributed to any patriotic campaign were threatened with having their names published in the post office and newspaper. The pervasiveness of the idea can even be seen in the St. Rose Catholic School's Christmas program in 1918. The seventh-grade boys performed a song or skit titled “A Slacker’s Idea of Christmas.”

Advertisement in the Cuba City News Herald for a film showing at the Auditorium in Cuba City on February 25, 1918.


Saturday, May 12, 2018

Ode to Mothers

In honor of Mother's Day, a few poems written by Cuba City High School students Helene Peacock and Dorothy Goldthorpe. These were published in the Senior Sentinel, a newsletter recapping the 1931-32 school year.



Sunday, May 6, 2018

Early Post Office and Street Scene



This photograph of Cuba City's Main Street was probably taken not long after the post office and bank building, seen here, was built beside the railroad tracks in 1907. There are lots of great details in this one, including the horse peeking out beside the railroad cars.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

"A brilliant girl" : Imelda Bridget Doyle

At a time when higher education, particularly for women, was not very common, Cuba City resident Imelda Bridget Doyle’s academic career was notable.

Imelda Bridget Doyle, 1905

The daughter of Arthur and Catherine Doyle, Imelda grew up on a farm northwest of Cuba City, near Georgetown. She was one of several siblings, many of whom were also fortunate to receive an impressive education.

Imelda Doyle graduated from Cuba City High School in 1900, and then went on to attend St. Clara Academy at Sinsinawa, Wisconsin. St. Clara’s was established several decades earlier by the Rev. Samuel Mazzuchelli and drew female students from across the country due to its excellent reputation.


At St. Clara Academy, Imelda was on the editorial staff of the school publication, The Young Eagle, and in addition to her regular coursework, she took lessons in piano, violin, and painting.

Poem written by Doyle for The Young Eagle

After graduating from the Academy in 1903, Doyle pursued her Bachelor of Arts degree in the new college course developed at St. Clara’s. She was one of only four young women in the second graduating college class.

After leaving school, Imelda Doyle took a position teaching in Phillips, Wisconsin.

Sadly, like many of her siblings, she died at a very young age. Only a few years after she began her teaching career, a lingering illness took her life on August 18, 1909, at the age of 26. The newspaper articles discussing her untimely death called Imelda “a brilliant girl,” and her funeral was one of the largest St. Rose Catholic Church in Cuba City had seen.

Doyle is buried with her family in the St. Rose Cemetery, north of Cuba City.


Thank you to the Sinsinawa Dominican Archives staff for providing information about Imelda Doyle's time at St. Clara's.

Sunday, April 15, 2018

The Landmark Old Western

Years before the village of Cuba City was planned in 1875, the area was known for an inn that welcomed many traveling the busy Mineral Point-Galena road by stagecoach and oxen cart.

The Western Hotel, as it was called, consisted of a large house, barn, and stables, and served as a rest stop and source of entertainment for miles around. It was located on the west side of what is today Cuba City’s Main Street, between Benton and Lafayette Streets, and would have occupied the site of Steve’s Pizza and a nearby residence.

 Location of the Western Hotel

No illustrations of the Western property have surfaced, but it must have been something to behold. A description of the inns and taverns along the Mineral Point-Galena Road describe the “Old Western” as “a monstrous hotel and barn” and “probably the greatest land mark on the whole route.”

Several well-known individuals supposedly passed the time at the Western, including Ulysses S. Grant and Jefferson Davis.

The hotel was built in the early 1850s by the Stedman Davis family, who moved to Wisconsin from Maine. Two of the Davis sons, Andrew and Josiah, seem to have been especially associated with the hotel’s operation.

There are conflicting accounts of the inn’s numerous later owners, but among those mentioned are a Mr. Blodgett, William Miller, William S. Cook, Robert Packard, and William Stephens.

By the latter part of the 1860s, fewer coaches and carts full of lead and other wares were passing by the Western as railroad expansion competed with earlier forms of transportation. This no doubt hurt business at the inn and, according to an early history, it closed by 1869.

In 1876, there was talk of moving the hotel closer to the village’s business district for use as retail and office space, but Cuba City’s centennial history claims that parts of the old building were retained when building the William Pascoe home, which still stands just north of Steve’s Pizza.

A 1949 article in the Dubuque Telegraph Herald revisted the history of the inn nearly one hundred years after its construction. At that time, a few reminders of the old hotel still remained near the home of Carl Wilberding, on the corner of Main and Benton Streets, including a root cellar and a depression in the front yard at the site of an old well.

For a more detailed description of the Western Hotel, check out this account by a long-time Cuba City resident, written in 1915:

Back When Cuba City was Western

Sources:

Crawford, George and Robert M., eds. Memoirs of Iowa County : from the earliest historical times down to the present. Northwestern Historical Association, 1913.

Cuba City Centennial
, 1975.

“Frozen coachman part of history.” Telegraph Herald, June 12, 1949.

Galena Daily Gazette
.

Friday, March 30, 2018

High School Baseball Team, 1915

In honor of Major League Baseball's opening day this week, enjoy a photo of the Cuba City High School's 1915 baseball team.

Image from the Cuba City Centennial history.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Florence Phillips's style parlors

In March 1918, Florence Phillips opened a millinery shop in Cuba City. Phillips was a graduate of Cuba City High School and would only have been about 20 years old when she went into business selling women's hats. 

Florence Phillips (wearing a white blouse) in her freshman class photo in the 1913 Cuba City High School yearbook.

Phillips's shop was located next to the Northwestern Hotel (seen here with the front porch). The millinery shop is just to the right. The Northwestern Hotel was located where Mound City Bank stands today, on the corner of Main and Webster Streets.

The following announcement was published in the March 1, 1918, issue of the Cuba City News Herald:

NEW MILLINERY STORE
Miss Florence Phillips to conduct style parlors
 
Cuba City is to have a new millinery establishment. Miss Florence Phillips has rented the Banfield building one door south of the Northwestern Hotel and will carry a fine line of the latest designs in millinery. 

Florence Phillips operated her millinery shop for over five years before selling to Agnes Walsh in November 1923. Phillips was married the following month and she and her civil engineer husband, Harvey Austin, wound up living and raising a family in Montana.

Friday, March 16, 2018

High School football team, 1955


Thank you to the David and Mary Dall family for sharing this photograph of the Cuba City High School's 1955 football team. The picture is not captioned, but some of the team members are Allan Klein, Joe Knox, Tom Loomis, Jerry O'Brien, Tom Wedig, David Groom, Dave Stevens, Dan Hauser, John Jones, Bill Droullard, Lloyd Bowden, Dick Dellabella, David Dall, Jim Murphy, Ron Steinhoff, Reg Weber.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Father Vaughan


Lawrence J. Vaughan was a celebrated lecturer, poet, and playwright in the early years of the twentieth century. Thousands turned out to hear him speak at engagements across the country, and he rubbed shoulders with the best and brightest orators of his time. Why mention him here? Vaughan also happened to be Cuba City’s first resident Catholic priest.

Lawrence James Vaughan was born in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in 1863 or 1864, depending on the source, but he grew up in Newark, New Jersey. Vaughan’s first brush with fame occurred as a young man when his talent and interest in the theater led to a professional acting career.

 
As a young man, Lawrence Vaughan performed with several theater companies throughout the Northeast. 

Though he possessed a great deal of talent, the thrill of a life on the stage faded and Lawrence Vaughan sought a more fulfilling occupation. He returned to Wisconsin and pursued the priesthood, becoming ordained at the turn of the century and joining the Diocese of La Crosse. Father Vaughan began his life as a priest with assignments in Eau Claire, Loreto (Sauk County), and Altoona.

Vaughan’s writing and speaking skills were evident from the start and he was soon in demand as a lecturer. He spoke on many topics, but three of his most performed lectures were titled The Power of Love, Sermons from Shakespeare, and Is Life Worth Living? L. J. Vaughan’s fame took him to stages across the country, and he had managers to arrange and promote his busy lecture schedule. Some newspapers complained of the difficulty of booking him in their communities. His biography claimed that the priest initially secured $40-50 an evening, but later in his career, was commanding $250 for some appearances, which would be over $6,000 today.

Father Vaughan lectured locally in Galena and Dubuque. This advertisement in the Telegraph Herald announces a Dubuque performance.

Father Vaughan often appeared at the same events as William Jennings Bryan, famous orator, Congressman, three-time presidential candidate, and eventual Secretary of State. Some journalists could not help but compare the two and often found Vaughan the superior speaker. Those writing of Father Vaughan’s performances were blown away and describe him as a masterful performer with a magnetic personality. He was a skilled storyteller and his audiences found his delivery magical.


Though he clearly enjoyed sharing his message with crowds across the nation, the priest-lecturer had another, more meaningful purpose for taking to the stage. Since his time as an actor, he was interested in rescuing young people from lives of poverty and sin and providing them with guidance and education. The income from his engagements was largely devoted to these pursuits. While a priest in Altoona, Wisconsin, Vaughan founded and operated the Altoona Institute, a school for boys and girls, with his own earnings. The children Father Vaughan saved were a matter of great pride to him, and he enjoyed telling stories of their successes.

After a whirlwind several years, by 1907, there were signs that Father Vaughan’s hectic schedule may have taken its toll and, according to his biography, his health was suffering. Though it was meant, at least in part, to be a time of recuperation, this period of his career did not appear to be terribly restful. The priest relocated to Janesville, Wisconsin, with the intent to write, lecture, open another school, and assist his good friend, Rev. W.A. Goebel, with his growing parish.

Father Vaughan also never lost his love of all things dramatic. He was reportedly working on an opera in the fall of 1908 and his play, A Woman of the West, was performed for the first time in Chicago. The drama, set in a mining camp, toured the Midwest and became perhaps best known for a controversial scene in which parts of a Catholic Mass were performed on stage. Several members of the Church found the detailed portrayal of a Mass irreverent, and one of the harshest critics was Vaughan’s own bishop, Bishop Schwebach of La Crosse.

 An advertisement from the Telegraph Herald announcing the performance of Father Vaughan's play at the Grand Opera House in Dubuque on October 3, 1908.

It is at this point in Father Vaughan’s career that he becomes a part of Cuba City history. On November 16, 1908, the Dubuque Telegraph Herald announced that Vaughan would be returning to the duties of a parish priest by taking over at St. Rose in Cuba City. While the parish had existed for decades before, and even built a new church in 1895, St. Rose had never had a priest of its own. It was a mission church of St. Patrick’s in Benton and relied on this priest visiting weekly for Mass. The assignment seemed a curious one for such a celebrity as L. J. Vaughan.

 St. Rose Catholic Church in Cuba City, as it looked when the Rev. L. J. Vaughan served the parish.

According to his biography, Father Vaughan’s health was poor at the time of his arrival at St. Rose and continued to deteriorate as he went about his priestly duties. Vaughan had only been in the parish a few months when Cuba City physicians insisted he enter the hospital. A surgery performed at Mercy Hospital in Dubuque in late April found gallstones and “stomach weakness” to be the cause of Vaughan’s ill health and doctors were confident in his recovery. Sadly, the prayers and well wishes he received were not enough to nurse the priest back to health. A stomach hemorrhage occurred in the weeks following the surgery, resulting in his death on May 10, 1909.

The loss of the dynamic priest was a shock to those who knew and loved him, and a series of memorials were planned in his honor. Father Vaughan’s remains lay in state at St. Raphael’s in Dubuque on the evening of his death. Early the next morning, an entourage from St. Rose parish arrived to escort the body to Cuba City. The hearse was met in that town by more people, as well as the Cuba City Military Band, which marched in front of the procession, playing a funeral dirge on the way to St. Rose Catholic Church, where Father Vaughan’s body lay in state throughout the day and evening.

Father Vaughan's body lying in state at St. Rose, Cuba City.

Though he had only served the parish for a few months, the Telegraph Herald reported that the loss was strongly felt:
“The entire countryside about Cuba City is in grief over the passing of the brilliant young priest whose fatherly care during his time in the community had meant so much to the people. In large delegations they visited the church not once but many times during the day paying their silent tributes of tears and flowers, mingled with deep and sincere love and grief to the memory of a man who came amongst them to share with them their joys and their sorrows to be a priest and a friend and to give into their lives lessons of the deepest and truest Christianity.”
On Wednesday, May 12, the mourning in Cuba City continued. Businesses in town were closed and schools were dismissed. Father Vaughan’s funeral Mass took place in the morning, with eleven priests in attendance, and parishioners had one last chance to process by the casket. According to the Telegraph Herald, at this point, Father Vaughan's body was escorted down Main Street by "the little girls of the parish, the altar boys, the Knights of Columbus, Daughters of Isabella and Catholic Knights." The procession ended at the train depot, where many parishioners accompanied Father Vaughan's body on the train to Janesville, where he was to be buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery the next morning.

Funeral procession for Father Vaughan on Cuba City's Main Street.  

Parishioners wait at Cuba City's train depot to accompany Father Vaughan's body to Janesville. 

Father Vaughan’s time in Cuba City was brief, but he made many friends and had a particularly close connection with two Cuba City residents. Businessman John C. Donohoo, of Donohoo, Splinter, & Co., was the executor of Vaughan’s will and would find himself embroiled in court cases as the will was contested at least twice in the years following Vaughan’s death.

In 1910, Father Vaughan’s sister, Johanna True, unsuccessfully attempted to break the will in the Grant County courts. In 1911-1912, acquaintances of the priest argued that Vaughan promised them $1,000 for the meals, lodging, and financial assistance they provided while he was studying for the priesthood. This argument was appealed all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Lawrence J. Vaughan’s estate was reportedly worth $20,000, which would be over $505,000 today.

The second Cuba City resident with a close connection to Father Vaughan was Charles H. Bartlett. It seems that Bartlett arrived here with the priest at the time of his assignment to St. Rose parish. He served as Vaughan’s private secretary and agent, though he was only in his early twenties. After Vaughan’s death, C.H. Bartlett stayed in Cuba City and would go on to become involved in all sorts of businesses, including real estate and undertaking. He also had a hand in the Cuba City Motor Company and the telephone company.

L. J. Vaughan willed the rights to all of his works to his young secretary, and C.H. Bartlett formed, with two other men, the Vaughan Publishing Company, which commenced publishing the priest’s biography, lectures, and other works. The printed lectures were advertised in newspapers and magazines across the country, ensuring that Father Vaughan’s words would live on after his death.

 An advertisement for The Life and Works of Father Vaughan, published by the Vaughan Publishing Company.

A collection of Father Vaughan's printed works.

Links to more information on Lawrence J. Vaughan may be found below. These sources, along with numerous newspaper articles from across the country, and especially from publications in Eau Claire, La Crosse, Janesville, and Dubuque, were most helpful in my research. A special thank you to Julie Hineman, Tri-Parish Secretary of Holy Family, St. Boniface, and St. Patrick, for confirming Father Vaughan’s assignment in Loreto.

Further reading:

Life and Works of Father Vaughan. Volumes 1 and 2. Published by the Vaughan Publishing Company.

Father Vaughan, the Great Dramatic Orator. A promotional brochure for Father Vaughan’s lectures.

Father Vaughan : An Appreciation.” Written by Louis J. Alber for The Lyceumite and Talent, June 1909. 

Noted Lecturer Dies in Dubuque. Telegraph Herald, May 10, 1909.
 
Thousands Pay Tribute to Dead. Telegraph Herald, May 11, 1909.

Cuba City Honors Memory of Dead.” Telegraph Herald, May 12, 1909.