This postcard, postmarked 1910, combines several great shots of Cuba City, including one image that may puzzle residents. The sender of this postcard jokes to his friend that "the lake we have here is something swell."
Saturday, October 26, 2013
An early aerial photograph of Cuba City, taken from the water tower, captures the First National Bank under construction. The bank, visible at the bottom left of the photo, was built in 1907. It would later become Cuba City State Bank.
Saturday, August 31, 2013
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
In 1934, a band shell was built in Cuba City's city park (now Veterans' Memorial Park). The park was also home to an earlier concrete block bandstand, built in 1891. The newly built band shell, which can be seen on the right in the photograph below, had a stage platform in front of it and soon became the site of numerous concerts and other civic events. It was funded by the Civil Works Administration (CWA), a federal relief program that was part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal.
The new "civic outdoor theatre and band shell," as the Telegraph Herald described it, was dedicated on a Saturday evening, July 14, 1934. This event was also a celebration of the Cuba City Military Band's 50th anniversary. Several thousand people attended. Visiting dignitaries spoke and the Cuba City band, Hazel Green band, and Dubuque Cadet band each gave a concert.
In 1968, Cuba City residents voted against repairing the band shell at a cost of about $3,000 and overwhelmingly voted to tear down the structure when it was no longer useful.
See the complete Telegraph Herald articles online, provided by Google News:
Cuba City band will dedicate new shell on 50th anniversary (July 8, 1934)
Thousands attend dedication of new Cuba City band shell (July 15, 1934)
Area referendums (April 3, 1968)
Sunday, May 12, 2013
A great image of Cuba City's city hall and fire station, probably taken in the 1940s. The building was built in 1920.
Sunday, January 6, 2013
|ca. 1879 (photo courtesy of Frank Byrne)|
An early view of Cuba City's Main Street, looking north. The building on the right with two porches is the current location of Hindu's Corner Bar. At the time of this photograph, it was probably a hardware store belonging to H.H. Fiedler.